Monday, August 18, 2014

Time For My Meds!

I want to talk to you about the medications I take to control my schizophrenia. Some people do not realize how powerful the effects of the medicines are. Schizophrenia is not curable but it certainly is treatable. I have to take medications for the rest of my life.

Back in 2008 when I was first diagnosed I was on a medication that literally made me sleep all day. My life was a blur. I managed to eat a few meals a day and shower but other than that I would be in bed sleeping. One time I had an appointment at Altapointe and I could barely stay awake. I wanted to doze off. The staff member I was talking to told me she wished she could offer me some coffee but she did not have any. I told the doctor about the side effects and they quickly changed my medicines.

The new medicines I was on worked for awhile. Then around 2010 I noticed a scary side effect! It seemed like my throat was closing up. I could not eat or drink anything. I did not go to the hospital. I was afraid I would be put into a group home. The next day I am perfectly fine. I am able to eat and drink again.

Nearly a month had gone by and I was off my medicines. My family did not know this. I kept it to myself. I started feeling happy again. I felt very friendly and wanted to have conversations with everyone I came across! Now remember my personality is very reserved.

Luckily I found out that the pills I was taking came in an injection form. Soon I start taking the monthly injections. I am grateful for them. If I had been off my medicines any longer I would have had a relapse. This injection has two bad side effects. I have gained a lot of weight and I am tired almost all of the time. Before I was on the injections I was a juniors size 3. Now I have been on the injections for a few years and I am up to a size 15. My self esteem has decreased dramatically.


While my injections have two bad side effects the positive outcome is much greater. I get depressed often but I am not suicidal. I laugh and smile often with my friends. My brain disorder is stabilized and I am not delusional. This medication has helped me live a normal productive life!

No comments: