Saturday, August 9, 2014

Schizophrenia And A Job

Life goes on slowly. The time is late 2011. I take my medications regularly. I still have frequent problems with depression but I am no longer suicidal.

For the first time since 2008 I try dating again. My then boyfriend and I dated for close to a year but it did not work out. I managed to move out of my dad's house for awhile. Dad invites me to move back home with him. I gratefully accept his offer.

During all of this time I have been searching for a job. My therapist recommends that I go to vocational rehab. They help people with disabilities find work. I get assigned a job coach. Once a week my job coach takes me to businesses so I can fill out applications and do interviews.

While looking for work there would be times when I got discouraged but I never gave up! After a year of searching I finally land my dream job! Actually it was not my dream job. It did not pay well and was not always exciting BUT it was a job and it helped me get by. Soon after I got the job my older brother and dad help me purchase a used car!

This was the first job I held since my mental breakdown. I was working at a clothing store. I was the fitting room associate. Like any job there were good days and bad days. I usually enjoyed talking with the customers. Most of my co-workers were friendly.

I worked at the clothing store for a little over a year. I wanted to take a break from working with the public. Recently I accepted a job offer that had a better opportunity!

Since I have schizophrenia finding and keeping a job was very difficult for me! However I take my medicines regularly, go to counseling and have a good support from family and friends. This has helped me find and keep a job much easier! It is difficult for people with my condition to find and keep jobs but it's not impossible!

No comments: