Friday, August 8, 2014

Kindess Survives Schizophrenia

Even though I have schizophrenia and endure daily hardships, I still find time to reach out to others with kindness.

An acquaintance of mine was nearing an upcoming birthday. She was not a friend, just someone I had known through other people.

I asked her what she was doing for her birthday. She replied “Nothing in particular.” She would be spending her birthday alone! This shocked me! I have always believed that you should something a little special for your birthday regardless of your age.

So I suggested my friend and I treat her to a birthday lunch. She was so touched that I took the time to celebrate her birthday with her without having known her that well.

She had pretty much given up on people and life. She stayed in bed most of the time.

Through a simple act of kindness I had discovered a new best friend! We went out to eat, shopping, and texted constantly!

She took an interest in life again and we became best friends!

Forgetting about my own problems while helping someone else I found a life long friend. I helped someone raise their spirits above the problems they had.

Even though I have schizophrenia I make sure not to be self absorbed in my own problems. I still have time to care about others and lend a helping hand!

No comments: