Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Daily Living With Schizophrenia

I want to take a moment to interrupt my journey and explain what living with schizophrenia is like for me.

First of all not all schizophrenics hear voices or have harmful thoughts. Neither do we all live in a fantasy world.

More often than not I end up sleeping too much. Most days it is hard for me to even get out of bed. Some days I wake up feeling depressed for no reason. Mornings is when my depression is at its worst. I get up, take a shower, get dressed and take my medicine. If I do not have any morning plans I go back to bed for no longer than thirty minutes.

Then there are days when everything is normal. “Normal” people do not understand that this brain disorder affects my everyday life. I love to be around people but large crowds make me very uncomfortable.

I feel guilty for feeling so exhausted and depressed. I do not want to feel like this! I do not believe anyone does. I want to be productive. Take good care of myself. Be fully independent one day.

So do I just lie in bed all day? No! Well I mean for most days. About once a month I will allow myself to spend all day in bed with Bear if I really need it. Almost everyday there is something for me to do. My favorite thing to do is visit my friends. I enjoy going out to lunch. In my spare time you can find me either downtown, in an art gallery, or at the library. Sometimes I like to go shopping but I try to limit myself. I stay productive.

I am a functioning adult contributing to society. I volunteer at a nursing home. I help my friends in need. I pay my bills. I have dreams and goals but negative thoughts come in and tell me I can not achieve them.

This brain disorder makes my life extremely difficult but not impossible. I take my medications and get out of bed regardless of how I feel! It is a daily struggle but I am proof that people with brain disorders can lead a normal and productive life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep up the great work, Amy! <3 :)

Amyloukay said...

Thanks for the support Christi! :D <3

Unknown said...

Thanks for helping people learning the facts about this disorder,very enlightening

Amyloukay said...

Thanks David! :D