Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Big Scare

Something that people with mental illnesses worry about is getting mentally sick again!

A few weeks ago, I had a big scare! You see I have been having med changes on my anti depressants. One particular anti-depressant made me have horrible intrusive thoughts!

Basically I became obsessed with the thought of getting sick again! It literally took over my mind!

This was one time when meds did not help. It actually made me feel a lot worse!

I was having what felt like panic attacks. I was incredibly scared that I would have to go stay in the psychiatric unit again!

Well what I learned in WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) I applied to in real life. I called my mentor, Sister and got some advice from her.

I used my coping skills to help get through the bad feelings. I took a hot bubble bath. Then I took my night meds and listened to some soothing music before falling asleep.

The next morning I gave the nurse a call. I told her about the bad side effects I have been having with the meds and that I was not going to take them anymore. She said that was ok.

I felt a lot better being off the anti-depressant.

For the mentally ill we hope we will not have another psychiatric breakdown. That thought is always with us. I know that I want to be able to live independently for as long as possible!

Today I am feeling good and I am off the anti-depressants!

I am able to get by keeping a positive attitude. Just taking it one day at a time...

3 comments:

iamteacherlyn said...

Hi there. I feel so nice after reading your blog. My bro is diagnosed with schizophrenia and I really wanna help him cope and manage. Love the way you write

iamteacherlyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amyloukay said...

Thank you ! Sometimes we just take it one day at a time :D