Thursday, September 4, 2014

Support Groups


Since I have started this blog I have been more involved in mental illness. I began to realize that I could help others and that there were support groups to help people struggling with mental illness.



During my research for my blog I found SOMI (Survivors of Mental Illness) and SA (Schizophrenics Anonymous). Both groups help many people dealing with schizophrenia.



When I first went to the SOMI club, I knew I was in the right place. The people who run it are genuine. They are there to help. The director and activities director make everyone feel at home. Some things that are available are arts and crafts. We even blew big bubbles one day. I am so excited, they are teaching me how to play the piano!



The best part is I get to spend time with people who have a mental illness. We talk about daily living and paint or draw. There is never any pressure on doing anything. We talk and laugh while doing our projects. It is very soothing and relaxing.



On Wednesdays we do support groups. The members get together and talk about their lives. Both good and bad things happening in it. It helps to hear and talk about daily life. Coping skills are taught to handle rough days.



I love snack time! It is when we sit down and enjoy juice, cheeses, nuts and other healthy snacks. Again it is the interaction with people with a similar condition.



SOMI club is a refuge place to recharge your batteries. This group of people have made a difference in my life. It is my place to go when things are not going well, or when I have a great day and want to tell people about it.



Another group I have taken advantage of is SA. They have a conference call where you can talk to others with schizophrenia from all over America. We talk about our day and how we cope with our illness. It is comforting to know that I am not alone.



I met Sister Lucindia who is a star in the mental health field. She has schizophrenia just like me! She is my inspiration! She wears many hats in mental health. She graduated college with honors, has been in several articles and has published a book! I am learning so much from her.



There is so much more to these groups than what I have shared above! Please feel free to get in touch with me if you want more information on these groups. They are life savers. Like a calm refuge in the storm that surrounds people dealing with mental illness.

No comments: