Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mental Illness Awareness Week 14


This week is Mental Illness Awareness Week. It is especially important to me because I have schizophrenia.



Mental illness is often put in closets or brushed under the rug. We do not want to talk about it. Family members do not want to admit it if a relative has a condition. The average person's views of mental illness come from movies or books.



There is little public education or public funds invested in educating people. Most views vary from the ignorant to the ill informed.



This is the reason I started my blog. I felt like I had a story to share. I wanted to show the world what life is like for someone with schizophrenia. That people like me are functioning and loving people who contribute to society.



In my this blog I chronicle my life. From feelings of despair to having hope. I reflect on family and friends that have been there for me.



My favorite line is “Schizophrenia does not control me, I control it!” I do not hear voices. I am not delusional. Through therapy, medications and support groups I can face each day knowing I am in control!


No comments: